MS4 is related to stormwater management which works to create a better environment. MS4 is a Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) program which is an acronym for Municipal
If you have sewer service, do not confuse MS4 with the sewer system connected to your bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room. MS4 system is separate from your home’s sewer system. MS4 only relates to water from precipitation that flows across the ground and pavement.
MS4 specifically revolves around the conveyance of stormwater (rain and other water) through different systems whether it be ditches, gutters, streets, catch basins & pipes, or swales. Stormwater creates pollution when heavy rainstorms removes litter, used motor oil, animal feces, and other materials from the ground and moves them to local streams, creeks, and lakes. Unmanaged stormwater can also create runoff which creates gullies and moves dirt into streams and other waterways.
How can YOU help keep pollution out of our waterways?
- Pick up after pets and dispose of their waste properly
- Use pesticides, fertilizers, and herbicides properly and efficiently to prevent excess runoff.
- Pickup litter when you see it around your property. Not only is it unsightly, but litter clogs storm drains. Litter can also and end up in our lakes and streams after bad storms.
- Properly dispose of used motor oil, paint, and cleaning supplies. Never pour them down a drain or catch basin.
- Call the PA DEP if you have an environmental related emergency. The DEP’s emergency phone number is 866-825-0208
Alsace Township is always working to address stormwater and manage it to prevent the situations mentioned in the previous paragraphs. Other governmental agencies are also working towards managing stormwater. Click on the links below for additional information about MS4 and stormwater management: